Thursday, May 15, 2008

In which I attempt campaign coverage...

I'm not one for horse race coverage of the Democratic presidential race, but for those keeping track at home, Barack Obama picked up support from another superdelegate today: Jim McDermott, a congressman from Seattle, Washington.

McDermott, a vocal opponent of the Iraq war and a member of the House Progressive Caucus, announced his decision in a press release I just received a few moments ago:
“I am proud to endorse Barack Obama today, because I believe he will bring us together to achieve the kind of change we need in this country moving forward. As Democrats, we are fortunate to have two very talented public servants running to be the nominee of our party, and I have great respect for Senator Clinton. But I believe now is the time to unite behind Barack Obama so we can be in the strongest place possible to win in November. Barack Obama has chosen to spend his career speaking out for those who need a voice and reaching across the aisle to bring change that matters in the lives of working families. I am confident that as president, Barack Obama will end the war in Iraq and bring our sons and daughters home, he will make universal health care a reality and he will restore our moral standing in the world. Barack Obama won the race in my home state by an overwhelming margin and I am thankful that so many new voters have become engaged because of the kind of campaign he has run, and I am happy to support him today.”
I don't think there was ever really any question as to who McDermott preferred in this race. As a strong critic of the attempt to demonize Iran and launch another preemptive war, one would have a hard time imagining him endorsing Hillary Clinton, who not only voted to have Iran's Revolutionary Guard listed as a "terrorist organization", but recently threatened that if Iran attacked Israel (the chances of that happening, it should be pointed out, is exactly "nil") she would "totally obliterate" the former and, presumably, its population of 70 million people. Not that Barack "all options on the table" Obama is a much better choice when it comes to foreign policy, but certainly, considering the options...

That said, as with John Edwards' endorsement of Obama yesterday, the only real question is: what was the wait all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment