Friday, June 05, 2015

Protests and prisons

Last month, I attended a protest outside a Nestlé water-bottling facility in South Los Angeles and spoke to a woman in an orangutan mask who objects to the world's largest food and beverage company profiting from the out-of-state sale of drought-stricken California's water. You can read my account here.

Earlier this week, California's state senate approved a bill that would strictly limit the use of solitary confinement at juvenile detention facilities. When I asked the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation to comment on the legislation, I was told that there is no such thing as "solitary confinement" in California, the people who say they experienced it apparently mistaken (the state says the presence of a television, or the ability to take correspondence courses, means one is not truly in isolation). Read my report here.

No comments:

Post a Comment