Sunday, April 19, 2015

Now accepting editor applications

When you write for the same outlet for a year or two, you end up building a rapport with the editor you deal with, a relationship that, over time, makes it easier to get pitches accepted – or at the very least gets those pitches acknowledged. When that editor leaves, though, often enough so does the relationship with that outlet; oh, you’ll get an email for the new guy or gal you are supposed to deal with from there on out, but to that new person you are just another poor scrub filling up their overcrowded inbox with a proposal for a think piece on what “Game of Thrones” can teach us about the conflict in Syria.

Which brings me to my point: I need another editor, my last one at a national publication choosing to leave me for some hot new sketchy start-up. Could it be you?
My ideal partner is: Compassionate, but not a pushover; firm, but gentle; rigorous, but not a god damn pedant; and good with words, but not intent on replacing every other one that I write with a synonym.

What I can offer: A rollicking but respectful back-and-forth regarding every little edit you make – I’ll keep you honest! – and, of course, exposure. You could be my editor; just think of all the doors that will open. If you think you have what it takes, submit an application to charles@freecharlesdavis.com. Be sure to include a paragraph or two on why I should choose you out of the dozens of other qualified candidates to edit the words that I write. And good luck!

2 comments:

  1. I like this a lot. Thank you for sharing. I'm always looking for upcycles like this. In the end, you don't know it was a shipping pallet to begin with!
    http://iplauction2016.in/
    http://icct20worldcup2016live.org/
    http://icct20worldcup2016tickets.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:13 PM

    Looking for Bruce Lee Quotes, Buddha Quotes on Karma, C. S. Lewis Quotes, Christian Quotes, Christmas Quotes, Cocky Quotes ETc...
    Bruce Lee Quotes
    Buddha Quotes on Karma
    C. S. Lewis Quotes
    Christian Quotes
    Christmas Quotes

    ReplyDelete